Grants & Federal Guidance
Initial Federal Guidance on State-Based Exchanges
Blueprint for Approval of Exchanges
States must complete and submit an Exchange Blueprint that documents how its exchange meets, or will meet, all legal and operational requirements associated with the model it chooses to pursue. The Washington Health Benefit Exchange was conditionally approved to operate a state-based exchange on Dec. 10, 2012.
Comments to CMS on Proposed Rules
Comments to HHS on Proposed Rules
- Exchange and QHPs
- Risk Leveling
- Eligibility Determinations and Standards for Employers
- IRS Premium Tax Credit
- Medicaid Eligibility
- Essential Health Benefits
- Exchange and Insurance Market Standards for 2015 and Beyond
Comments to Office of Personnel Management (OPM) on Proposed Rules
Comments to OIC Proposed Rules
- Open and Special Enrollment Periods for Small Group and Individual Health Plans
- Health Insurance Provider Networks (Network Adequacy)
- Certification of Pediatric Dental Benefits in Stand-alone Dental Plans
Federal grant funding for the establishment of the Exchange comes from the Department of Health and Human Services Office of Consumer Information & Oversight. View the funding opportunity announcement at Cooperative Agreement to Support Establishment of State-Operated Health Insurance Exchanges.
The Exchange applied for an additional Level One Establishment Grant in Nov. 2013. The grant funds were awarded in Jan. 2014 in the amount of $84.6 million. Additionally, in Mar. 2012, the Exchange applied for Level Two Establishment Grant funds. The grant funds were awarded in May 2012 in the amount of $127.8 million. In Mar. 2011, the Washington State Health Care Authority applied for Level One Exchange Establishment Grant funds. The grant funds were awarded in May 2011 in the amount of $22.9 million.
- Level One Establishment Grant Application (Nov. 2013)
- Level One Establishment Grant Budget (Nov. 2013)
- Level Two Establishment Grant Application (May 2012)
- Level One Establishment Grant Application (May 2011)
In Aug. 2010, the Exchange applied for Exchange Planning grant funds. The grant funds were awarded in Sep. 2010 in the amount of $996,295.
Planning Grant Issue Briefs
The Washington Health Benefit Exchange developed issue briefs to address several key policies Washington state must consider when planning and designing a state-based exchange. These issue briefs were submitted to the Department of Health & Human Services on Jan. 1, 2011, to demonstrate Washington state’s progress under the federal Exchange Planning grant.