As part of our ongoing COVID-19 response efforts, the Exchange has opened a time-limited, extended enrollment opportunity for customers who have lost health coverage during the public health emergency.
Typically, customers losing coverage mid-year have 60 days before and after their coverage end date to sign up through Washington Healthplanfinder. During COVID many have reported enrollment barriers, including delays in receiving federal or state unemployment insurance payments. To help address these barriers, the Exchange is giving customers experiencing a gap in coverage more time to enroll.
Individuals who have lost health insurance coverage after March 1, 2020 during the public health emergency will have until September 30, 2020 to sign up for coverage through Washington Healthplanfinder. Loss of coverage includes loss of minimum essential coverage (including employer-sponsored health coverage or COBRA) and loss of coverage from short-term limited duration plans or health sharing ministries.
To sign up, customers must call the Washington Healthplanfinder Customer Support Center or contact their local navigator or broker. Customers who sign up by September 15 can get coverage starting October 1. After September 15, coverage starts November 1.
Washington Healthplanfinder Customer Support Center:
Help is available in over 175 languages. Language and disability accommodations are provided at no cost.
Business Hours: Monday – Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 pm.
Frequently Asked Questions:
One in four Washingtonians get health and dental coverage through the Washington Healthplanfinder at wahealthplanfinder.org or the mobile app, WAPlanfinder. Individuals can receive free help applying from an expert in their community at https://www.wahealthplanfinder.org/_content/find-expert-advice.html.
Below are answers to frequently asked questions during the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) pandemic:
Reporting Unemployment Income
Seeking COVID19 Related Care
Sign up for Coverage through Washington Healthplanfinder
Additional information and resources:
- Lost Job-Health Coverage
- COVID-19 Consumer Support Available (PDF)
- Loss of Employer-Sponsored Health Coverage (PDF)
- Step by Step Guide: How to Report a Change (PDF)
- How to Change Premium Tax Credit Amount (PDF)
- Special Enrollment Period Checklist (PDF)
- Partner Toolkit
- Reporting Unemployment Income
Need more help? Also see:
- COVID-19 Health Education in 26 languages for Washingtonians
- Washington State Coronavirus information
- United States Coronavirus information
- US Centers of Disease Control
- Office of Insurance Commissioner
- Washington State Department of Health (DOH)
Washington State (COVID-19) hotline: 1-800-525-0127
- Health Care Authority COVID-19 information (view under Washington Apple Health clients)