Washington Healthplanfinder Announces Special Enrollment Period
in Response to Growing Coronavirus Outbreak
In response to the potential growth of Coronavirus (COVID-19) cases, the Washington Health Benefit Exchange (Exchange) today announced a limited-time special enrollment period for qualified individuals who are currently without insurance. This special enrollment period (SEP), that runs through April 8, 2020, will allow uninsured individuals 30 days to enroll in health insurance coverage through Washington Healthplanfinder.
Until April 8, individuals seeking a special enrollment must contact the Exchange’s Customer Support Center between 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday-Friday at 1-855-923-4633; TTY: 1-855-627-9604, or a local certified broker or navigator, request the SEP, and select a plan by April 8 for coverage start date beginning April 1, 2020.
Granting this enrollment period is consistent with the Exchange’s Exceptional Circumstances SEP policy and federal regulations (45 CFR § 155.420(d)(9)), which allow for a special enrollment period when an individual meets other exceptional circumstances as the Exchange provides.
Additional information and resources:
US Centers of Disease Control: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus
Office of Insurance Commissioner: https://www.insurance.wa.gov/health-insurance-and-coronavirus-covid-19-frequently-asked-questions
Washington State Department of Health (DOH): https://www.doh.wa.gov/coronavirus
- DOH daily 2p.m. updates: https://www.doh.wa.gov/Emergencies/Coronavirus
- Resource list for WA State businesses and workers impacted: https://www.governor.wa.gov/node/439842
- Local Health Departments and Districts: https://www.doh.wa.gov/AboutUs/PublicHealthSystem/LocalHealthJurisdictions
Washington State (COVID-19) hotline: 1-800-525-0127
Health Care Authority: https://www.hca.wa.gov/information-about-novel-corona-virus-covid-19
- Apple Health FAQ: https://www.hca.wa.gov/assets/free-or-low-cost/apple-health-covid-19-faq.pdf
- Opioid Treatment FAQ: https://www.hca.wa.gov/assets/program/opioid-treatment-program-faq.pdf